Sunday, January 28, 2007

Review #2

Name: Canadian Slang
www.slanguage.com/about.html


Level and Skill: Applicable to any ESL level with an interest in knowing the translation of some of the Canadian slang they may hear. There is no particular skill that is targeted except possible comprehension of some terms and definitely no skill required in using the site!

Interactive: No

ESL/Non-ESL: Both, as there were quite a few terms of which I was unaware.

What makes it good? Not much actually. I have to believe there are better sites available for ESL learners who want to navigate the world of Canadian slang. Upon going on the site, I was immediately assaulted by pop-ups with annoying sounds and active x control commands that prevented me from scrolling up or down. I had to end task in one instance. Sorry, but I am not going to ‘Dress my Zwinky” and nor am I in the market for ‘Mate 1 intimate dates from Hamilton’! If I really want to know what the peg is or the rock , maybe I will go out and buy a Two –Four, sit in front of the bar(google bar that is) and scroll all day. The idea of FUNetics that Mike Ellis has tried to create in other languages with pictographic equivalents is simply confusing and a little bit juvenile. Gracias pero no gracias; this site gave me a skull cramp. For many learners making a serious effort to understand idioms, colloquial language and slang, its sure to do the same to them!

No comments: